I have been married for 16 years.
I don’t know how that’s even possible, but somehow, I managed to get the cute 10th grade boy to notice me. (possibly thanks to his mom, and no thanks at all to my huge eyebrows and high hair. You can see exactly what I’m talking about here.) And once I got him to notice me, we decided that we were just perfect for each other. He told me he loved me the first time we talked on the phone, and by 7th period geometry we were already talking marriage. I guess the boy knew what he wanted. He remembered every single month anniversary, and I have saved a piece of something from everything he ever bought me. Flowers were left on my car, notes were left in my locker and gifts were dropped off at my house. He loved my family, I loved his. We managed to get through high school with no major problems and even through college with just a few hiccups here and there. You can read more of that story here.
At this point, I know Adam pretty well. I have been with him for over half my life and while we are very different in a lot of ways, we compliment each other really well. Trust me, there are a lot more than 10 things I love about Adam, but I thought I would just throw out 10 for fun.
10 things I love about my husband (in no particular order)
1. He loves kids. It’s one of the first things I noticed about him. I remember him coming to AWANA when we were dating and spending the entire time hanging out with the kids. I don’t think he said more than two words to me! I loved watching him with his little sisters, and he just always had a way about him that made all the kids want to hang out with him. It’s a gift, and he uses it in amazing ways.
2. He loves sports. I know that might seem like a silly thing to love about him, but we have spent so much time playing soccer and basketball together, running together, and throwing the football around. We have also gone to tons of games together and watched a lot of sports on tv. I’ve even gotten used to the semi-obnoxious sports show he loves! This makes our life so much more fun!
3. He is a slow mover. I don’t think you understand fully what I mean by that. I can literally get something done 6,254 times faster than he can. I am constantly moving, and everything has to be done in lightning fast speed. Trust me. It’s not always a good thing. He is slow and steady. Calming me down when I start to move too fast (shooting weddings!) reminding me that not everything needs to be done quickly, and he is just an all around calming person. I need that.
4. He likes shopping. What?! I know! He actually enjoys shopping, and that of course is every girl’s dream. We love antiquing, thrift shopping, hitting up yard sales and even regular old shopping of any kind. It’s pretty amazing.
5. He is godly. It is so comforting to know that I don’t have to worry about him making decisions, because I know that he is seeking God first. He really wants to live his life to please God most of all.
6. He doesn’t give a rip what other people think about him. This. This I need so much. I have a hard time when people are against me. And he reminds me that it doesn’t matter. I answer to God. Not them. And then he gives me ice cream. And everything is ok.
7. He is a great provider. He takes care of the bills, he does our taxes, he understands numbers and I still count on my fingers. He works hard to make sure that our family has everything we need and everything we want. He goes without so the boys can get new cleats. He sacrifices for his family and he doesn’t even think twice about it.
8. He loves to vacation the same way I do. While some people plan their vacations to be filled to the brim with activity after activity, we both like to have relaxing, unplanned time away. It’s awesome. He loves the place I grew up loving and it is now filled with not only memories of my childhood, but memories from us dating, and now us with our family.
9. He does not like camping. Yes. One of my favorite things about my husband. If we are going to go away, let’s go to a hotel. Not a mosquito infested, bathroomless camp site. Thanks.
10. He gives me what I want. I know that sounds selfish. But I love that he loves me so much that he wants me to have everything I want. I don’t take advantage of that..ha! But he loves when he can buy me a new pair of shoes, or take me to Boston, or watch the show I want to watch.
I could list a million more things that I love about Adam but mostly I love that Adam is committed to me for life. We have never even brought up the word divorce, and no matter how difficult things have gotten over the years, we know that we will be with each other forever. We made a promise. We made that promise before God and we take it seriously. It’s for better and it’s for worse. It’s for pretty dress up days and it’s for ugly bed head days. It’s for real. And I am so thankful that this cute 10th grade jock has become such an incredible husband to me and dad to my boys.
Happy 16th anniversary to my favorite person in the whole world.